This is a meal that is quick and easy to make, and works equally well for lunch or a satisfying dinner. We’ll skip the corn tortilla, though, and keep it simple by serving directly over a salad of mixed greens and some other veggies.
- 1 to 1-1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (7 oz) diced green chiles
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Assorted greens (about 1 cup per person)
- Chopped veggies as desired – we’re using a couple of scallions, a green bell pepper, and a tomato tonight
Start out browning the meat in a large sauté pan over medium heat. When mostly browned, add in the green chiles and the onions. Mix well and continue cooking until the onions are translucent. Add the spices and mix again to incorporate everything, then reduce the heat to low and let sit another 5 minutes or so.
In the meantime, prepare the salad by placing the greens into individual bowls or deep-dish plates. Get the veggies chopped, but reserve for the time being. When the taco meat is done cooking, spoon over the salad greens, then add the chopped veggies on top.