My friend Maeghan was feeling under the weather and told me that Tomato Soup (without any dairy) sounded really good. I found this recipe in a slow-cooker recipe book that I have (and I modified it of course). I love cooking in the crockpot! Maeghan gave it two thumbs up! It is really quick to put together and you will have a great meal for lunch or dinner.
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 1/2 chopped onion (I used half a red and a whole yellow here)
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 shredded carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 jars of canned tomatoes (or stewed tomatoes)
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme (I used fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups of water
- 1 pint of chicken broth (I used homemade here)
- 1/4 cup pesto (I just threw some basil, olive oil, and pine nuts into a food processor and chopped fine)
Cook up the ground turkey with the coconut oil in a skillet and drain. Put this into the crockpot. Add the rest of the ingredients to the crockpot. You can choose to add the pesto here, or you can add it after it has finished cooking. This makes a lot so you will have pleny leftover for lunch the next day or to share with friends like I did! Enjoy!!