This is a recipe I saw in a Costco magazine a while back that I modified. It is a good one to concoct, especially if you are short on time for preparation. Make it up in the morning, throw into the crockpot, and let it slow cook to perfection until dinnertime. Feel free to add any veggies you would like.
As an aside, I think it is interesting that these are called short ribs, yet the long ribs are called spare ribs? Ah, the English language never fails to amaze me. Okay, so while you are pondering that, gather up:
- 2.5 pounds or so of short ribs (I used grassfed beef)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 yellow squash (chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 2 medium celery stalks (chopped)
- 1/2 large yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 large cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 roma tomatoes (chopped fine)
- 1/3 cup of red wine
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
Sprinkle the salt and pepper onto the ribs along with the olive oil. Heat the coconut oil on med-low heat in a pan and throw in the ribs, browning on both sides, then put into the crockpot.
Add in the veggies and spices.
In a small bowl mix together tomatoes, wine, and vinegar and pour over the meat and veggies. Slow cook at a minimum of 5 hours (high) and up to 10 hours (low). This was super deelish for leftovers too!!