We love zucchini and summer squash…even if it is a little harder to find in the middle of winter. Here’s a tasty side dish that you can put together with almost no prep, and have ready in just about the time it takes to have everything else in your meal ready to eat.
- 3~4 small to medium assorted summer squash, sliced diagonally about 1/4″ thick
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped fine
- 1/6 cup pine nuts, roasted
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
- juice of 1/2 small lemon
Start out heating a dry frying pan over medium heat. Toss in the pine nuts and roast, stirring constantly, until lightly browned and toasty. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool for a few minutes.
Roast for about 40 minutes, until the squash has softened a bit but is still crisp, and the smells of garlic, lemon, and basil have filled the kitchen. Serve immediately along side your main dish for the night. Cheers!