Recipes Posted One Year Ago:
Our last post of the year! Happy New Year to you and yours! May it be the healthiest year ever for you!
Tasty tasty salad here! I could eat this entire salad by myself!! If you are planning a get together for New Years Eve, this would make a great potluck dish as you could easily double it (along with the Bacon Wrapped Dates mentioned above). Please notice in the picture below that I finally got a backsplash in my kitchen, hooray!! Thank you Uncle Joe!!
- Lettuce (I used butter lettuce, but romaine or the like would work well too), chop into bite-size pieces
- Seeds from one pomegranate (see below for extracting method)
- 1 apple, cored and sliced thin
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 cup of walnuts, glazed (see method below)
- 2 tbsp honey, divided
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar (not shown)
- 1/3 cup olive oil (I prefer lighter flavor here and not EVOO, but up to you)
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- dash of black pepper and sea salt
Chop the walnuts and mix with 1 tablespoon of honey. Put parchment paper on a large bar pan and spread out walnuts. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or so. Let cool.
Meanwhile in a medium-sized bowl, add vinegar, remaining honey, shallot, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Whisk together.
In a large bowl toss in lettuce. For pomegranate, it is obvious which is the “top” and “bottom.” Slice in half from the side and not top to bottom. Take each half, and holding over the bowl, smack the back with a wooden spoon. The seeds will pop out. You may have to give it some pretty good whacks. Make sure to wear your apron as the juice may splash.
Next, add in the apples and walnuts.
Pour in the vinaigrette and the parsley. Toss all together. Dig in!!